September 16, 2019
Thermography as a Business Opportunity
Tip written by: Infraspection Institute
Savvy business owners are always on the lookout for new business opportunities. Thermography can be a particularly good fit for building and home inspectors seeking to expand their services and generate new revenue.
The past few years have seen tremendous growth in the use of thermography for building inspections. Greater public awareness and lower equipment costs have induced many home and building inspectors, damage restoration specialists and pest management professionals to add thermography to their services.
The income potential for thermographers is significant. Depending upon services offered and rate structure, a single thermographer is capable of generating $250,000 per year in revenue. This potential can be influenced by a number of factors including one’s choice of infrared imaging equipment. Prior to purchasing equipment, one should keep the following in mind:
- Determine your firm’s capabilities with respect to expertise and manpower.
- Conduct a marketing study to determine what services you will offer. In particular, look for services that will repeat annually and/or provide the greatest revenue with the least amount of sales effort.
- Entry level equipment can limit one’s capabilities and revenue potential. Try to anticipate your equipment needs for at least three years and purchase accordingly.
Despite claims to the contrary, thermography is not a ‘point and shoot’ technology. In addition to thorough knowledge of the systems or structures being inspected, thermographers should be trained in infrared theory, heat transfer concepts, equipment operation and selection, current industry standards, and report generation. For those lacking experience, training should be completed prior to purchasing equipment.
Infrared inspection of buildings and their subsystems is one of the many topics covered in the Level I Infraspection Institute Certified Infrared Thermographer® training course. For information on thermographer training including course locations and dates, visit us online at www.infraspection.com or call us at 609-239-4788.
Submit a Tip: If your tip is selected for posting by irinfo.org, you will receive a 6 month FREE Business Card listing at irinfo.org. Tips must be original work and must be approved for posting by irinfo.org.
Please complete the information below to submit a Tip of the Week to be considered for listing at irinfo.org. Please keep in mind that:
- the Tip must be ORIGINAL work
- you must certify that YOU are the author
- the Tip must not have appeared elsewhere
- the Tip should not be longer than 300 words
- Tips submitted are subject to editorial approval prior to being posted at irinfo.org
- You may email your suggested Tip in MS Word format by clicking on “Submit A Tip of the Week” below.
Tip of the Week Archive
Visit our Sponsors: